Sunday, November 6, 2016

Inferno


Academy Award® winner Ron Howard returns to direct the latest bestseller in Dan Brown’s (Da Vinci Code) billion-dollar Robert Langdon series, Inferno, which finds the famous symbologist (again played by Tom Hanks) on a trail of clues tied to the great Dante himself. When Langdon wakes up in an Italian hospital with amnesia, he teams up with Sienna Brooks (Felicity Jones), a doctor he hopes will help him recover his memories. Together, they race across Europe and against the clock to stop a madman from unleashing a global virus that would wipe out half of the world’s population.

Unpopular opinion: I really enjoyed this movie. Most audiences and critics are giving it a low ranking and score.  I'm glad I didn't let those cloud my judgement before I saw it.  I was excited to see the movie and I had a great time watching it. I felt that it lived up to The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons and is a great addition to the series.

The movie starts off with Robert Langdon, played by Tom Hanks, waking up in a hospital in Florence with no memory of traveling to Europe at all. He is rescued by a doctor, Sienna Brooks, played by Felicity Jones.  Together they team up to stop a plague while Robert has visions and fights off amnesia, trying to figure out friend from foe. 

The main complaint I heard about this movie was that it was confusing and convoluted.  I felt like Ron Howard did a great job of portraying how confusing and frustrating it was for Robert Langdon not to have his memories.  At one point he can't even remember the word for coffee. We are thrown into the middle of this journey with just as much memory as Robert. I enjoyed that and felt it was a great mystery and I did not have trouble following along. 

I will say I felt that the Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons had more interesting plots overall.  Those movies focuses on puzzles and using artwork to solve them.  This movie felt more like Robert trying to piece back his memory to solve a puzzle he had already started to solve before.  It did help make this movie stand out from the previous too.  Other people said they found this plot boring, and while it is a bit of a cliche following a trail of puzzles to stop the villain from doing his thing, I did not find it boring.  Maybe I'm just a positive person though. If you've seen the movie let me know what you think.

If you're interested you can check out the book that the movie is based on here : https://www.amazon.com/Inferno-Robert-Langdon-Dan-Brown/dp/1400079152

4 comments:

  1. I gotta say, personally I believe movies are judged way too harshly. I usually am a positive person when it comes to movies. I just watched Doctor Strange this past weekend, and although it was another "cliche" super hero movie. I found it entertaining as the other ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doctor Strange has been getting some really good reviews! I was shocked to see it's a 90% on Rotten Tomatoes. I haven't seen it myself, but I might be swayed to.

      Delete
  2. I just reviewed his movie as well and I honestly loved this movie! I'm glad you think it deserved better ratings as well!

    ReplyDelete